Thursday, March 5, 2009

Short Note Today


One day ahead of hearing it from everyone in your office, let me remind you that we Spring Forward this weekend. I can't remember if that means we gain an hour or lose an hour. And it doesn't really matter to me because I'll be flying 3 (or will it be 2) hours back in time to Las Vegas on Sunday morning. All I know for sure is that I'll be swapping our old batteries for new in every one of our smoke detectors. (Confidential to First Alert: Your marketing efforts worked on this household!)










This weekend the Matco Tool Fair begins. Next weekend I'll be off to Anaheim for the Cornwell Tool Rally. I've heard through the "grapevine" that Matco expects about 800-850 dealers and Cornwell has about 350 registered. Don't quote me on that though. As usual, I'll post everything new and exciting from the show once I get back.

In other news, at TechShop, we've been working on a new website. It will officially launch April 1, 2009, but you'll be able to see it earlier, by March 16th. Please bookmark the site, because my blog will be moving there and this blog will become inactive. I would hate to lose the few followers I have. http://www.techshopmag.com/ I'll remind you again later. We are also launching an all-new design for the magazine with our April issue. Guarantee you will LOVE it! It makes our competitors' efforts look like grade school scribbles. (Just my opinion.)

It was sunny for about a minute here today and it's starting to warm up finally. The clouds are coming in as I write this, and soon we'll endure a day and a half of rain. Nonetheless, I'm feeling optimistic. I was doing quite a bit of research this morning, and I think it's safe to say that portions of our economy are starting to see a pickup. Walmart and Sam's Club reported a sales increase of 5.1% for this February over last February. And ASA reported that a survey of 8,000 shop owners in 2008 reported a business increase of 16%. Perhaps Spring really is right around the corner, and perhaps the Recession is waning towards Recovery. I will definitely know more about what our automotive compatriots opinions are after next week.
Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Baron's Life said...

Just love the clock...Is it real? or what..I've something similar on my bed side to wake me up every morning...The kids of course all have their cell phones that wake them up with what I think is a very annoying attempt to sound civil...lol
Maybe I'm just too old fashion and need to cool it
not sure how the clock goes...forward or backwards...but like the train on the railways track...it just goes.
Cheers and see you in Vegas.

Donnie Smith said...

It's just one hour......but it sure is hard for me to make that adjustment. It seems like there is a time change every other month. I guess that is a sign of getting old.