Monday, February 23, 2009

4 Great Rules of Life

I came across these in a recent newsletter from our benefits coordinator. They could just as easily have come from my mother or my 9th grade English teacher. They're not earth-shattering, but they're good to remember:
  1. Show up. Be in the room when decisions are made. Be home when you need to be home. Face your responsibilities. (I think they're trying to say, look at the person to whom you are speaking, not at your blackberry, cell phone or computer screen.)
  2. Pay attention. Listen. Look for different perspectives. Stay hungry for understanding and new information.
  3. Speak the truth. Say what is true from where you sit.
  4. Let go. Let it happen. Know what is in your control and what is not. Shrug off the result, looking only for what you can learn. Go forward from there.

I break 3 of these rules more often than I like. I think it comes from being "busy", or wanting to be necessary to someone or some entity. But I keep trying to improve.

And as the Dow reaches its lowest level since 1997, here are some fiscal fitness tips for you to consider:

  1. Don't keep too many accounts. Your investments can get out of control if they're spread over several banks, brokerages, and financial institutions. (However, in my experience, I've consolidated the majority of my accounts under one financial planner..... and it just doesn't matter.)
  2. One person can make all the decisions for your business/home, but other people need to have a working knowledge of the investments and a sense of trust with the financial advisor. (again, in my experience, I've made all the investment decisions for our family, and my husband is aware of "our" plans, but..... it just doesn't matter.)
  3. Share financial goals. Discuss your goals and how you plan to work toward them. My goal was to retire from working some day. (I thought I had been working toward my goal, until today. And now I feel like.....it just doesn't matter.)
  4. Put aside enough money for retirement. Experts say we should all save 10% of our take-home pay. (Can't even comment on this.)
  5. Don't tie up too much money in cash or one type of investment. (ha ha ha.... I'm starting to feel lightheaded from all this great investment commentary.)

I guess today was the wrong day to try to be fiscally fit. Good luck everyone!

Since this is a tool and equipment blog, I'll close with a quote from one of history's most widely quoted, "Anonymous": "You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40; if it moves and shouldn't, use the tape."

Finally - here's a trivia question for you. Is it duct tape or duck tape? Why?

1 comment:

Baron's Life said...

These are certainly four good rules to live by.
I enjoyed the post...keep them coming