Friday, September 28, 2007

Automechanika - Canada

Went to the show on Wednesday in Toronto. It was held at the International Center by the Toronto airport. Got there about 11 a.m., and walked every aisle, just to get a feel for who was there and how many exhibitors were in attendance. Then I went back through and started talking to the exhibitors. It was pretty small, and by 1 p.m., it still did not seem overly well attended. I think there were about 200 exhibitors, maybe 220. The majority were Canadian manufacturers, however there were a handful of U.S. exhibitors as well. Some of the Canadian exhibitors were strictly regional - selling to Eastern Canada only, some were national, and some were international. The tire and tire repair service was well represented by Cooper, 31 Inc., Prema, Tech Internationl, Myers Tire, and ESCO. There were only several tool guys there, and just a few equipment folks. The majority of the exhibitors appeared to be hard parts related. Whereas the AAPEX show has an entire floor designated to country "pavilions" (everywhere outside of the U.S.), the Automechanika show had a small section for non-North American Exhibitors. Ironically, it was the Iranian Pavilion. I think there were six booths in it.

I have to tell you, I thought I would go back the next day to see who I missed, but I was able to see and talk to everybody in six hours. I'm sure the experience would be different for distributors and shop owners - but that's my take on the show.

On a personal note, it was a pleasant surprise to see and speak with Daron Misakyan of Nortool. His company distributes tools and equipment out of Toronto and had been a former customer of mine.

No comments: