Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Remember to Smile

I'm preparing to give a speech to 800 students and faculty members later this week. One of our magazines, Tomorrow's Technician, (along with Chicago Pneumatic) is awarding the 2nd Annual School of the Year Award to one very deserving school, and since I'm Publisher, I have the honor of saying a few words to the school's students, faculty, and assorted guests.

I don't speak to large groups very often. I can say without thinking about it for a second, that I've NEVER spoken to 800 people at one time, so this is a real challenge for me. I'm pretty good one on one, or in small groups where I'm training. But 800 people, most of whom are STUDENTS... I'm a little apprehensive I have to admit. Plus, I have 8-10 minutes to fill. My heart just did a double-beat there for a second, just thinking about it.

When I get nervous, or excited, or sometimes just because it's a great day, I tend to talk fast. I don't like to waste people's time, so I try to get through things quickly, sometimes too quickly. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this. I can usually make a conscious effort to change this, as I read the looks on people's faces. But what do you do, how do you "read" 800 faces?

I don't really know. But today, I finished typing up my speech. I read it through twice on my monitor, then I went to the beginning of the paper and typed these words in big, bold, black type:
TAKE A DEEP BREATH, SPEAK SLOWLY and SMILE.

It doesn't seem like I should have to write these words, does it? But I do, because I tend to speak quickly and I generally look very serious, regardless of the topic. After I wrote that advice to myself, I wrote SMILE every few paragraphs, just to keep reminding myself.

I have a great message to deliver to this audience, and if I don't SMILE, they may or may not hear me.

Smiling comes naturally to most sales professionals, whether they're on the phone or delivering a message in person. A smile is also one of the best sales tools you have, and it's free (no training required, for the most part).

Perfect example of the power of a smile: these two photos of Rascal.
(disregard the drool factor. Rascal had endured the aroma of popcorn...)
If this dumb dog were up for adoption, which one would you consider? Which one makes you smile?






1 comment:

Baron's Life said...

A daunting task...Good luck...You can do it...!
Take Rascal with you so he can keep the audience in check, just in case...and remember, if nothing else ....Smile!