Tuesday, June 3, 2008

GM May Drop the Hummer


Does this mean the Chevette could be making a comeback? !!! General Motors CEO Rick Wagoner announced they are closing four of their truck & SUV plants this year due to the crazy decline in truck & SUV sales. (Did I just say "crazy"?) That's right! GM announced a 27.5% decline in sales for May, led by sharply declining sales of bigger vehicles. The four plant closings are thought to save GM $1 billion beginning in 2010.
Not everyone loves the Chevette, or loved it. It does hold a soft spot in my heart however. It was the first used car I ever bought (and the last one). I can't say that it had been gently used either, as I was to find out the more I drove my little stick-shift beast. When I finally gave up on it, to buy a more reliable vehicle, one of my first questions to the dealer was - "how much does my new car weigh?" (In case I would be compelled to push it to the side of the road, something I had become an expert at with the Chevette.)
In other news, Ford announced a lousy May as well, with a 16% decline in sales. Their decline was led by a 19% drop in SUV and Truck sales.

No comments: