Friday, November 16, 2007

How Do We Inspire People to Join Our Industry?

When you started in this business, did you think you'd stick around for a while and make a career out of it, or was it just something to pass a couple of years time, so you'd have something on your resume beyond flippin burgers and mowing lawns? Well, I thought I'd do the tool thing for a couple of years to help pay for grad school. But after a year of a full-time job AND going to grad school full-time, I knew something had to give or someone would be picking parts of my grey matter off my desktop and ceiling. Sadly, that career I desired in some glamorous industry did not immediately appear, so in order to stay fed, I dropped the full-time institutionalized education, kept the job, and began my career and informal education in the automotive aftermarket. And I never quit learning.

And now, with more than 20 years into this biz, I can honestly say I love this industry. The people are great, my current job is awesome, life is good. I hope you can say the same from your personal perspective.

So how do we bring more wonderful people (like ourselves, or just a little bit different) into this industry? One way, is to bring them in at a young age, train them your way, and hope for the best. But where do you go to recruit?

Well, my easy answer would be - of course - you should just advertise in Tomorrow's Technician magazine and thousands of technicians would be knocking down your door.
But instead, I'm not going to ask for your ad monies - that's right, not today anyway.

Instead, I would encourage you to go to our newly redesigned website, www.tomorrowstechnician.com and check out the "careers" tab. If you have a job opening at your workplace, please send the information to me at bskove@babcox.com or to our Tomorrow's Technician editor, Ed Sunkin at esunkin@babcox.com. We will post it to our website at no charge to you. We just ask that when the position is filled, you let us know and we'll take it down. Simple, easy, cheap, free.

And if you have an extra minute, let me know what you think about the new website. Though it's just over a month old, we're already looking for ways to improve it.

No comments: